A Content Management System
A content management system (CMS) is computer software used for effortless development, management, and modification of digital content by the addition and deletion of data. These are some of the core features for CMS, however, some features might vary reckoning on the application being used. Indexing, search and retrieval, format management, revision management, and management within certain templates are few other attributes of CMS.
What are the Uses of CMS?
CMS provides the most efficient way of managing content on your website without the need for coding. It’s easier to work with since it can be accessed and managed by laymen and non-technical staff which itself is the selling point of CMS. It is user-friendly because of its easy-to-use nature.
- It provides you, a user, with a single website that can manage multiple functions on any screen fit, with responsive websites. You get to manage your website and get the freedom of producing your own written, audio, and visual content while retaining the precedence of having a professionally designed website.
- CMS allows you to update your site from anywhere, anytime, ensuring that your site’s content is always freshly updated.
- Content can be easily shared amongst co-workers. CMS also allows you to assign tasks to your co-workers and reminds them of any pending tasks.
- Security also plays an important factor in maintaining websites. CMS protects the core of your website.
- Staying up to date is also possible with CMS as it is connected with a lot of social media websites. This may provide users a better interface for an additional benefit for providing an easy way to give you feedback on your services or products.
Can SharePoint be used as a CMS?
Microsoft SharePoint is a reliable Content management system by Microsoft. It was launched in 2001 as a means to make a platform that provides website developers an easy solution to manage their content. It is a browser-based platform for the management of documents and a collaborative platform. It has a wide range of features and customizable abilities and is highly configurable.
It’s a password-protected safe space for securely sharing documents, with a large number of users spread across the globe.
Organizations can connect with SharePoint through Microsoft Office 365 where it is bundled with other office programs like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, etc.
There have been many editions of SharePoint, all of them serve different functions:
- SharePoint Server is provided to organizations that require control over SharePoint’s behavior or designs.
- SharePoint Standard builds on the SharePoint Foundation in a few key product areas with little upgrades.
- Built upon SharePoint Standard, Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise features can be unlocked by using an additional license key.
- SharePoint Online has the advantage of not needing to maintain one’s server but lacks the customization options of a self-hosted installation. And it is the newer edition of SharePoint. Microsoft’s hosted SharePoint is typically an add-on in Microsoft 365 subscription but it can be purchased directly online.
Benefits of SharePoint as a CMS
SharePoint is used for the distribution of diversified data and reports. It can deal with a wide range of records efficiently and there lies its effectiveness. SharePoint allows for storage, retrieval, searching, archiving, tracking, management, and reporting on electronic documents and records. It is a way to centralize access to enterprise information and applications which also helps a workplace organize its internal communications, applications, and information.
Since Microsoft SharePoint was created only for the management of websites, it has received updates that make it function for professionals and big businesses.
- Create and publish content quickly and easily using Microsoft SharePoint as a CMS.
- It helps maintain a consistent look throughout your websites by creating approved layouts for your websites.
- Manage metadata globally and organize your data easily in groups and terms.
- Make any document unique by a unique identifier for every asset in the collection.
- Save time by specifications and manual management of your files.
- Control access to information by controlling the permissions to different documents within your organization.
- Collaborative document processing
- Help secure business and important records and implement policies for information retention, protection, and auditing.
How our client benefits from a SharePoint based CMS
Our client was a traditional, dynamic construction enterprise.
They wanted to apply their information resources and capabilities to upscale their value for attracting more investors.
The client wanted to make efficient judgments and investments in information technology, provide computing tools to meet customer demands, and increase employee productivity. They also wanted to fulfill their vision of being a customer-oriented company.
After having centralized their documents by standardizing them on SharePoint-based CMS, the client saved on their capital expenditure, made better organizational operations, and better-streamlined coordination.
They used the Document Generation tool developed by AscenWork Technologies. It helped them by delivering a consistent application to add more value to their business in IT.
It also safeguards intellectual assets which ensured an advantage over competitors and improved security.
Since the records and documents were easily accessible, it enabled their employees to easily coordinate between clients and vendors for better-systematized growth.
Contact Us at AscenWork Technologies to make your business more efficient!